Gone are the days when black was reserved solely for goths and the emos; more folks around the world are realizing how black truly is beautiful and their homes are all the better for it!
However, as lovely as black is and as much as it has revolutionized the interior decor industry, it can be a hit or a miss with this color. Hit it and you have a bold, dramatic, sophisticated room that’ll be the envy of many; miss it and you’ll have a room that’s dark, dingy and monotonous. For it to be a hit, nailing the combination, both in terms of complementary colors and types of furniture to use, is paramount—but don’t let that get you down and throw you off using black.
From what colors to pair with your black furniture to what kind of furniture to use with black walls, we’ve got you covered. Here’s all you need to know to make your bedroom a study in black elegance.
Colors That Work Well with Black Furniture
The best thing about black is that it looks amazing on its own and looks amazing with any color that you pair it with. However, some colors will compliment your black furniture better than others; if you’re looking for a color that works well in combination with black furniture, here’s a list to make things easier:
- White: An obvious yet timeless combination, black and white is a striking combination that never goes out of style, as well as a combination that you can’t really go wrong with. Pair your black bedsteads with white duvets, or your white chair with black cushions, or white curtains with your black wall—the possibilities are seemingly endless!
- Gray: Gray and black are a classic combination that ruled men’s fashion for years, and now, are ruling the interior decor scene. Opt for a grayscale wallpaper and pair it with simple black furniture, such as a jet black bedstead with straight lines and black chairs (we love the retro high-back armless chairs from HomCom).
- Navy Blue: Navy blue is a royal color, dark yet vibrant and reeking luxury. Pair your black furniture with navy walls and maybe some gray accents, for a luxurious, swanky pad!
- Yellow: As it turns out, black and yellow isn’t reserved solely for taxis and Wiz Khalifa’s chart toppers; they’re meant for your bedroom too! Black furniture paired with yellow walls or yellow curtains against black walls or a yellow chair against a black wall can completely transform your space and have it looking elegant, stylish and dynamic.
- Orange: Is orange the new black? Opinions may differ on that count but there’s a general consensus that orange and black together are a stellar combination! Orange is a warm, inviting and friendly color, providing the perfect balance to dark, dominating black. Have your black tiled fireplace surrounded by orange accents, with predominantly black artwork on the walls.
- Pink: A fun combination, pink and black is an especially superb combination for the young glamor lovers in the family. A great one for the teens and tweens!
- Purple: Another royal combination, purple and black work really well to create a mysterious, elegant look, especially in a room with contemporary vibes. Purple walls and black furniture are regal in every sense or you can pair your black furniture with curtains like the Yakamok gradient curtains!
- Green: Green is a soothing color, with an earthy, organic vibe that transports you into Mother Nature’s lap. Pair your black furniture with slightly darker green or apple green for an uncommon-yet-lovely combination that can lend a soothing feel to your space.
- Turquoise: Another uncommon combination, turquoise and black make a beautiful combination with a balanced feel. The warmth and tranquility of a blue shade soften the dominance of black, making for an eye-catching end result.
Apart from turquoise, blue, in general, is a good color to pair with black. Rooms with black furniture can look great with a sky-blue wall, for example. Pair your sky-blue wall with black wardrobes or armoires, such as Beachcrest Home’s lovely Black Marhill Armoires.
Additionally, specific shades of beige and brown can also add warmth to your room.
How Can I Decorate a Bedroom with Black Furniture?
Though we wish it were as simple as pairing a black wall with yellow or green or purple furniture or vice versa, it isn’t just about what wall colors go best with black furniture; it’s also what other kinds of furniture, curtains and flooring you use with it.
Here are a few tips on how to decorate a bedroom with black furniture, in terms of furniture and other accessories:
Wooden bedsteads are gorgeous, adding a new level of class and elegance to your bed. Pair your black wooden bedsteads with a primary color such as white and/or red. Using two primary colors with black will soften the dominating nature of black—even if it’s just your bedsteads, black can fill up the room like no other color!
If you’ve wondered what color flooring goes with black furniture, you can choose a floor in any of the colors mentioned above. White is an especially great choice, as are orange and brown. If you have a traditional brown wooden floor, choose a white and brown color scheme for your drapes and upholstery.
Decorating your bedroom with carefully-curated pieces of art that focus, celebrate and bring out the beauty of black will add another dimension of elegance to your bedroom, perfectly complementing your black furniture, from your bedsteads to your chairs to your curtains. In fact, a good piece of art can easily tie the look of the whole room together; instead of using many paintings or artwork, you can also use one statement piece which can be the focal point of your bedroom that people’s eyes instantly catch.
Black and white artwork, especially black and white photographs, work very well. You can either create a collage of different photos or put up one blown-up photo above your bed; if you’re using a frame, ensure that you use a black frame, or go frameless for a contemporary look. You can even mix it up by framing an abstract piece with a classic or vintage black frame. Slate on off-white backgrounds is a good call when it comes to artwork. You can pair your black bed with white or off-white covers/duvets and predominantly white art with a clean border of black or trimmed sides and edges.
If you’re not painting your wall and prefer using wallpaper, it’s highly important that you pick out a wallpaper that complements your black bedroom furniture. Black and white, as mentioned earlier, is a classic combination, albeit an extremely common one. For more novel and unique aesthetics, go with a color like orange or purple; these look great as floral designs and create a pleasing contrast, especially if they don’t blend in with your headboard.
Four-Poster Beds and Unique Bedposts
As mentioned earlier, it isn’t just about your walls and curtains; it’s all about the kind of furniture you use in your bedroom. Four-poster beds are classy and elegant in a way that other beds can’t be. Coordinate your black bed with a matching headboard and contrasting linen for a lovely look. Most people prefer to contrast the bed with their walls but this is a creative choice you can make.
Other Things to Keep in Mind
Here are a few other points to keep in mind that will help increase your room’s beauty:
- Colors Not to Use: Though black does look great with all colors, some colors don’t look as flattering as the others when put next to black. These include earthy, muddy, muted tones and extremely dark colors. Either make it a complete contrast or a complete complement.
- Gold and Silver: Gold and silver can really highlight the black in your room, adding accents in the right places (if placed right, of course!). Gold, silver and brass pieces of art can also really elevate the look of the room.
- Wood: Try to stick to wood for your black furniture. This reinforces the classiness and sophistication of the color. Wood-stained furniture also lends warmth to your room that black can seep away.
- Contrast: As mentioned earlier, contrast works best with black, since it’s an extremely strong color. Pastels and light shades compliment black furniture very well. For a minimalist and classic look, opt for black and white.
- Black Is the Base: Think of black as the starting point and work upwards, when decorating your bedroom. Therefore, accessorize your room keeping your chosen black furniture as the focal point.
The Bottom Line
From what color curtains go with black furniture to answering the question of “how can I update my bedroom with black/dark furniture?”, we hope this article answered your questions on all things black-bedroom-decor related!
Remember, since black is a naturally heavy color, light and bright colors will make the space lively and airy, lending balance to it. Colors such as mint and arctic blue give eyes a break from the heaviness of black, especially for the walls. For accents, such as pillows and decor, white, purple and turquoise are great options. When it comes to furniture, ensure all furniture either matches the black or contrasts it; you don’t want a clash between your pieces of furniture. To funk it up, consider adding metallic accents and tones.